Chicken Inasal (Chicken BBQ)
Preparation & marinating: 6 hours to overnight
Estimated cooking time: 40 minutes
Chicken Inasal Ingredients:
- 2 Chickens (free-range if available)
- 3/4 cup Filipino vinegar
- 1/4 cup Garlic finely minced
- 2 stalks Lemongrass optional
- Annatto oil (see notes below)
- Wooden skewers
- Spiced vinegar
Additional Ingredients Instructions:
- 2 free-range chickens, approx. 3 pounds each, or if you can find smaller chickens, use 3 of them
- 3/4 cup Filipino vinegar, palm if you can find it, or cane; or if you must, the equivalent in kalamansi juice (available in the frozen aisle of your Asian market if you don’t have access to fresh)
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced very finely, or better yet, mashed into a paste with 2 teaspoons sea salt
- achuete or annatto oil, made by steeping 1/4 cup annatto seeds in 1/2 cup hot oil for half an hour (If not available, you may mix a small amount of paprika and turmeric to achieve the same color.)
- thick wooden skewers, soaked for 1 hour in water prior to cooking
- Bottled spiced vinegar for serving, or make your own by mixing Filipino vinegar, lots of crushed garlic, a bit of salt, and a handful of Thai peppers or other tiny red hot peppers
Chicken Inasal Cooking Instructions:
- Quarter the chickens, or if using the small ones, halve them. Marinate in the vinegar, garlic, and salt, several hours or overnight, turning several times.
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees. Make sure your grill is cleaned and oiled well. Cook over indirect heat for 20 minutes, basting with the achuete oil.
- Turn and cook for 10-15 minutes more, or until thickest parts of chicken exude clear juices when pierced. Can also be made in a grill pan on the stove if no outside barbecue is available.
- Serve immediately with the spiced vinegar. Other welcome additions to the vinegar: some soy sauce or fish sauce if you like, or even some minced ginger.
We recommend Kombee Nation Chicken Inasal marinade. Learn More