Arroz Caldo (Chicken and Rice Soup)
Well, the fall season is here and winter is just around the corner. Having said that for most of us Filipinos abroad our bodies are starting to look for something warm to eat to compensate for the cold weather outside. So, of course, what is better to have than a hot bowl of Arroz Caldo.
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 chicken, small, cut into serving pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, bruised
- 1 small onion, chopped
- a fraction of ginger, sliced thinly
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or patis
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 3 boiled eggs, halved (optional)
- oil for sautèing
- ARROZ CALDO
1. In a large saucepan, saute garlic, onion, turmeric, and ginger. Add chicken. Season with soy sauce or patis. Cover for 2 minutes.
2. Add rice and water. Stir thoroughly, making sure that the ingredients do not stick to the sides of the pan.
3. Continue cooking over low heat for 20 minutes.
4. Sprinkle chopped spring onions on top before serving. Add boiled eggs, if desired.