Kansi is a cross between bulalo andsinigang. It is like bulalo, because the cut of beef that you will use: lawas (ilonggo) or beef shank with marrow. You can use other parts – tuhod (if you want litid). It is a sinigang because the 3 elements are present : meat, souring ingredient and vegetables. We use batuan to sour kansi but for this recipe I opted to use a sinigang cube which is more available than batuan.
Serves 6-10 people, cooking time is 1-2 hours
4 lbs Beef with marrow- bulalo
2 lbs Beef
1 lb Beef Bones
Slices Langka/Jackfruit – same volume with beef
Sinigang cube – one piece (maybe half of one Sinigang sachet)
Tanglad (lemon grass)
1. Pour water into the pot as the same level with meat. Boil beef bones and beef with marrow until meat is tender. Usually takes 1 to 1 1/2 hour. You can use a pressure cooker. Set aside.
2. Skim the fat. You can use a gravy separator or cool the broth inside the refrigerator until the fat solidifies.
3. Saute with garlic, onions, tomatoes. Add your meat and broth and your sinigang cube.
4. Add sliced langka. Simmer until cook.
5. Scent with tanglad, add some peppers. Salt to taste.
6. One optional step is to top this with atsuete oil.