Pancit Molo (Shrimp, Chicken and Pork Wonton Soup)
Pancit Molo Recipe is an adaptation of wonton soup, is a specialty of the town of Molo in Iloilo a well-known district in the province. Unlike other pancit, pancit molo is not dry but soupy and it does not make use of long, thin noodles but instead, wonton wrappers made from rice flour. Leftover wonton wrappers can also be cut into strips and drop into the hot broth.
- 8 cups chicken broth or shrimp broth or both
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 25-30 wonton wrappers
- pepper to taste
- chopped spring onions
- oil for sauteing
- 1 cup ground pork
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken meat, flaked
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 3 tbsp patis
- salt to taste
1. To prepare Molo Wontons, Combine ingredients in a bowl but use only 1 tsp green onions, salt to taste, and 1 tbsp patis. Set aside the remaining ingredients for the broth.
2. Put 1 tbsp of the meat mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper. Wrap by folding one side of the wrapper to cover the filling completely, then turning the “unfilled” sides of the wrapper up so that the dumpling resembles a flower. (The filled portion should be in the center.) Cover the dumplings with a dry kitchen towel and set aside.
3. To make broth: Saute onion and garlic in oil until light brown. Add chicken stock and the remaining salt and patis from the filling. Allow boiling, then drop the stuffed dumplings into the boiling broth.
4. Stir the remaining meat mixture into the broth. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Season with pepper to taste.
5. Before serving, garnish with chopped spring onions.