Sinigang na Baka (Beef in Sour Broth)
Sinigang na baka is one of my favorites. It is a sour but tasty dish. The tamarind paste is very delicious and I am sure you’re going to love it.
* Estimated Time: 1 hour
- 1 kilo beef, cubes (for stewing)
- 12 pieces tamarind (sampaloc)
- 1 big onion, diced
- 6 big tomatoes, quartered
- 2 pieces radish, sliced
- 4 pieces gabi, peeled & cubed
- 1 bundle sitaw (stringbeans) (cut into 2? long)
- 1 bundle kangkong (cut into 2? long)
- salt and patis (fish sauce) to taste
- Place the tamarind in a small pot then bring to a boil or until the tamarind is softened. Pound and strain the juices then set aside.
- In a casserole, bring beef to a boil, place in lower heat then simmer for an hour or until the beef is tender. Take out all scum that rises to the surface.
- Add onions, tomatoes and tamarind juice.
- Add gabi then simmer for a few minutes.
- Add string beans (sitaw) and kangkong stalks.
- Add kangkong leaves then serve.
- Season with salt and patis to taste then serve.