Pork Belly Sandwich – Bahn Mi
Pork belly sandwich recipes – Bánh mì is a Vietnamese term for all kinds of bread. Bread, or more specifically the baguette, was introduced by the French during its colonial period. The bread most commonly found in Vietnam is a single serving baguette, therefore the term bánh mì is synonymous with this type of bread. The bánh mì is usually airier than its western counterpart, so as a result, has a thinner crust.
4 Large Sandwiches
2 1/2 pounds pork belly
4 8 inch Baguettes
2 tablespoons sesame chili oil
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
SPICY MAYO SAUCE
1 Egg yolk
1 Pinch salt
1 cup Canola or Vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons Sriracha or other hot sauce
2 teaspoons water
1 Teaspoon lime juice
RED CABBAGE COLESLAW
2 cups red cabbage, shredded
1 cup daikon radish, sliced thin
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Pinch salt
1 cup carrots, shredded
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
Cucumbers, sliced thin (topping)
1. To make spicy mayo sauce, whip together yolk, water, lime juice, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Set mixture over warm water and whip constantly until the mixture is steaming and foamy. It should thicken slightly, but not harden totally.
2. Take away the mix from warm and start whipping in oil slowly. Begin with just little drops and gradually work up. Whip in the whole cup of oil which should form a chunky mayonnaise.
3. Stir in hot sauce and store mayo in the fridge until needed. You can also just stir hot sauce into one cup of store-bought mayo.
4. To make the coleslaw, shred carrots and cabbage. Cut into thin planks. Flip together with vinegar, sugar, and salt. Make at least 30 minutes before you utilize it.
5. To cook pork belly, put it skin side up in a frying pan. Using a very sharp knife, Slice into the fat of the belly. But try not to cut all the way down. Make a grid of small cuts on the skin.
6. Rub pork belly with sesame chili oil and season it with salt and pepper.
7. Bake pork belly at 500 degrees for 30 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 45-50 minutes until pork belly is cooked through and a lot of fat has rendered out of it.
8. Once the belly has cooled a bit, slice it into small chunks.
9. To make a sandwich, toast baguette and slather it with spicy mayo. Add a layer of pork belly and top it with the slaw. Top with fresh cucumbers and cilantro and serve immediately!